"Thrift" is one of world's most importanat concepts and a vital idea for the 21st century. It's also frequently misunderstood. Thrift comes from the word "thrive" and can mean:
- The fact or condition of thriving or prospering
- Means of thriving
- Prosperous growth, physical thriving
- Savings, earnings, gains, profit
- That which is saved
- Economical management, economy
From the Oxford English Dictionary
Welcome to the world's most comprehensive site for teaching and studying thrift.
Our vision is to provide high-quality thrift education to every young American, through schools, youth-serving organizations, libraries, houses of worship, financial services organizations, and thrift stores.
We're eager to build partnerships to teach thrift. Please contact us if you are interested.
Thrift earns, manages, plans, saves, and gives.
Read about Pete the Pig
Read the booklet Why Thrift Matters: 20 Propositions
Read the booklet The Way to Wealth: Four Rules
Read the book American Thrift: A Reader
Read Evaluating Thrift: A Report
Watch the video Thrift: In Search of the Art of Living Well
Watch the video Why Thrift? Why Here? Why Now?
In the News
Better Angels aims for better political understanding in Leesburg
Karen Graham, Loudoun Times-Mirror, 7/28/2017
UMN professor hits the road to bridge political divide
Max Chao, Minnesota Daily, 7/26/2017
Better Angels group trying to fix political divide
Joe Dominguez, DCW50 TV, 7/24/2017
Better Angels tour brings civil discourse to Americans bitterly divided over politics
Laura Kelly, The Washington Times, 7/24/2017
- Better AngelsTo depolarize the American mind.
- Marriage OpportunityTo create a new pro-family coalition.
- Shared ValuesThe arts as cultural diplomacy.
- Thrift!A very old, new, unifying way to think.
- GamblingShould the government be your bookie?
- Homeward BoundFilial Piety in the 21st Century
- ConversationsDavid Blankenhorn talks to interesting people.
- IAV Hall of FameOur best stuff.
- IAV CatalogueFind everything.